Providing High-Quality Legal Representation For Victims of Motor Vehicle Collisions
Facing the aftermath of an auto accident can be a deeply traumatic and confusing time. In moments like these, the physical pain, emotional distress, and financial burdens can feel overwhelming. At Fontenot Law, P.C., we understand the profound impact that an accident can have on your life and the lives of your loved ones. Our compassionate team is here to guide you through this difficult journey with empathy and experience. We are committed to fighting for the justice and compensation you deserve, allowing you to focus on what matters most: your recovery and well-being.
Our legal professionals are dedicated to providing personalized attention to each case, ensuring that your rights are protected every step of the way. If you or a loved one has been injured in a crash, don’t navigate this challenging time alone. Let Fontenot Law, P.C. be your advocate and ally. Contact us today for a free consultation and take the first step towards healing and recovery.
Why Do Most Automobile Accidents Occur?
Car accidents can happen for many reasons, but the most common causes of car accidents are:
- Failure to Obey Traffic Laws and Safety Rules: This includes running red lights, ignoring stop signs, and failing to yield the right of way. Such violations of traffic laws are a leading cause of accidents, often resulting in serious injuries or fatalities.
- Distracted Driving: With the rise of mobile technology, distracted driving has become a significant issue. This can involve anything from texting or talking on the phone to adjusting the GPS. Taking your eyes off the road for even a few seconds can have catastrophic consequences.
- Impaired Driving: Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs remains a critical problem, significantly impairing a driver’s judgment, reaction times, and overall ability to operate a vehicle safely.
- Driving While Fatigued: Often overlooked, fatigue can be just as dangerous as other forms of impairment. Tired drivers are less attentive and slower to react to road hazards, increasing the risk of accidents.
- Human Error: This broad category includes mistakes such as incorrect lane changes, failing to signal, and misjudging distances. Even minor errors can lead to major accidents, especially at high speeds.
- Speeding: Exceeding speed limits is a common cause of accidents. High speeds reduce the driver’s ability to steer safely around curves or objects in the roadway, extend the distance necessary to stop a vehicle and increase the force of impact in a crash.
- Unsafe Vehicles: Poorly maintained vehicles can lead to accidents. This includes issues like brake failure, tire blowouts, and malfunctioning headlights, which can all significantly increase the risk of an accident.
In the aftermath of a motor vehicle accident, it’s crucial to understand your legal rights and options. At Fontenot Law, P.C., we help accident victims navigate the complexities of their cases, ensuring they receive the compensation and support they need to recover.
Can an Auto Accident Lawyer Help Me Recover Compensation to Pay Medical Expenses?
One of the first questions that most car accident victims ask is how they can recover compensation for their injuries and property damage. Even with health insurance coverage, many accident victims still struggle to pay their medical bills and other related accident expenses.
Utah allows car accident injury victims to pursue compensation for economic and non-economic damages.
Economic damages are awarded to reimburse individuals who have suffered damages due to road traffic injuries. Some of the most common economic damages awarded to accident victims include:
- Past and future medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Loss of earning capacity
- Property damage.
However, individuals who have sustained serious injuries such as traumatic brain and spinal cord injuries most likely will need costly lifelong medical care, which can quickly create a financial crisis for their families.
Non-economic damages are awarded based on the circumstances involved in traffic accidents and the extent of the injuries. Because non-economic damages are meant to reimburse accident victims for intangible losses, they vary from case to case. Some common non-economic damages include:
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of enjoyment of life.
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium.
- Permanent disfigurement and scarring.
If you have suffered injuries related to a car crash, allow the experienced auto accident attorneys of Fontenot Law, P.C. to evaluate your case. We can investigate the road traffic accident and determine what damages may be appropriate for your case.
Who Can Recover Compensation If A Loved One Was Killed in a Fatal Crash?
Unfortunately, motor vehicle crash deaths occur more often than they should in Utah. Road traffic fatalities are the seventh leading cause of death across all age groups. Additionally, fatal crashes are the leading cause of death in younger people aged 15 to 29. Other individuals at greater risk include front-seat occupants and vulnerable road users such as those in wheelchairs.
Utah law dictates that a wrongful death claim can only be filed by an individual who qualifies as an heir of the deceased or personal representative of the victim’s estate. Eligible individuals include:
- A surviving spouse.
- Surviving adult children, including stepchildren, provided they are younger than 18 at the time of death and were financially dependent on the deceased.
- Surviving parent(s), including adoptive parents.
The family may be able to recover economic and non-economic damages for the death of their loved one that resulted from a fatal crash. Some of the damages the deceased’s family may be able to recover include:
- Funeral and burial costs (within reason).
- Medical bills and other expenses the deceased incurred as a result of the fatal crash.
- Lost income, including future wages and benefits due to the deceased’s death.
- Loss of companionship, guidance, and services.
- Pain and suffering family members experienced due to the loss of their loved one.
Under specific circumstances, the families of victims who have died as a result of crash deaths may also be able to file a lawsuit to try and recover punitive damages.
Why Should I Trust Fontenot Law, P.C. to Help Me With a Car Accident Claim?
Fontenot Law, P.C. is dedicated to helping auto accident victims get the fair treatment they deserve. Our attorneys have years of experience handling auto accident claims both as insurance company defense attorneys and for claimants. We understand the dynamics of auto accidents and how to aid accident victims in their fight against insurance companies. When we agree to take your case, we will stand by your side and act as your legal advocate to protect your legal rights.