Adult Guardianships

Adult guardianships and conservatorships may be necessary when a person in your life is showing signs of dementia, cognitive impairment, or mental health issues that renders the person incapacitated to such a degree that they can no longer make rational decisions about their medical treatment, everyday life, finances, or even their own safety. We have been helping people working through the issues that arise when a person needs to apply to the court to be appointed as a guardianship or conservator.

While most guardianship and conservator cases are uncontested, sometimes the protected person may wish to object to someone else’s effort to impose a guardianship or conservator. We have experience working on every side of a guardianship case including being the Petitioner’s attorney, the protected person’s attorney, an objecting party’s attorney, and even a court visitor, who is responsible for reporting to the court concerning the protected person’s well-being.

At times, an objection must be filed by the protected person or by another family member, either because the protected person is not incapacitated or because the proposed guardian or conservator is not fit to serve, or has abused or exploited the protected person. We have represented individuals in these types of cases, and are very experienced with how to handle these situations in a cost-effective manner, while at the same time fighting aggressively for the well-being of the protected person and for the client’s positions.

If you believe you may need to ask the court for a guardianship or conservatorship for an incapacitated adult, or need to object to a petition, please feel free to call and we can set up an appointment for a free guardianship consultation.

Contact Us